Monday, November 5, 2012

Working with Substitute Teachers

 
     With my cooperative teacher gone for the week on her honeymoon today I had the 2nd sub.  The sub today was very nice.  As a person she was awesome, as a sub not really.  There is 1 sub for most of the week, but she couldn't be there today.  The one today wouldn't let me do anything. In the sub packet I had jobs and she did them.  I was so frustrated. We had a schedule and when I tried to explain that we didn't go to recess until 20 after she said no and we got there at 5 after.  I couldn't even get the paper work until after everyone left for the day.  One of the other teachers came in after school to check the lesson plans. It has the correct info, but this sub marched to the beat of her own drum, and didn't follow the times.  She was very strict and the kids weren't even allowed to do anything.  The sub actually told one student not to speak to her the rest of the day.  The kids at lunch asked me if she would be there the rest of the week.  Today was definitely a learning experience.  The teacher never gets to really understand the sub and how they handle their class.  I'm glad that the other sub will be back on Wednesday. 
     The students all went to "vote" today, and didn't have computer time.  While waiting with them in the hall they kept asking me about voting.  One asked me about the electoral college, and I tried to explain the best I could, but I don't really understand it myself.  They were campaining for Obama and Romney on the way to vote.  They tried their best to get me to tell them who I voted for.  I told them sorry that's something you don't share. They were very excited to take part in this process.  I kept thinking if we as adults would be that excited and vote things could change.  I do think this really was a great learning tool for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment