Thursday, October 11, 2012

1st Lesson Down

     I will admit up until the actual time I was schedule to teach my first lesson, I was very nervous.  I think it was just the idea of teaching in front of my professor. My teacher that I am working with gave me some great advice.  While our students were in their guiding reading groups she had me go to our back table and practise.  That really helped center me, and I had everything set up and ready to go.
     My students were very excited that I chose them to work with.  They did very well, and I was impressed by their reading.  When choosing them I didn't want to pick those in the highest or the lowest levels.  I noticed that the boy that I was working with knew what he was reading, but he was afraid he wasn't right.  He had no confidence in his reading ability.  I hope that by using him as one of my case studies I can change this and give him some confidence in his ability.  The girl that I worked with was very confident, and tried to be the center of the lesson.  Their strengths and weaknesses are opposite of each other, and I think they both could learn from each other. I'm excited to test this theory and see if I can make a difference.
     I see where I need to make changes in my lesson, and if I ever teach it again I think it will be even better.  When I was planning the closing and assessment, I thought using the letter to the I can statement was a great idea.  In hind sight I didn't really like it as much as I thought.  Since we were learning visualization I should have had them draw a picture of what they saw in their mind. 
     I am already thinking about my second lesson.  I love math and I am ready to see how I can incorporate reading and math into one lesson.  Even though one of my majors at Guilford was English, math is one of my favorite subjects. The only thing about math that I hate is geometry.  I don't want my students to see that I am not that knowledgeable about geometry.  It was one of the hardest classes that I have ever taken in my life. 
     I am so glad that we have a week away from school.  It will be nice to regroup and get ready for the last 1/2 of the semester. 

1 comment:

  1. I was very interested in how you guided us through your thinking as you planned and carried out the lesson. Take as much as you can from Julie while you have the chance. You and your students will be the richer for it.

    ReplyDelete